Where to Vote

district-38 map.png


If you have previously voted in federal or state elections and your residence is within the 38th State District, you already are registered to vote.

If you are unsure whether you are registered, you can visit the following Michigan Secretary of State website. It will not only check your registration status, but will also give you your voting location:


Register to vote
If you need to register to vote, you must do so by Tuesday, October 9, 2018. You may register at City Hall in the clerk’s office or at any Michigan Secretary of State office.
Absentee Ballots

If you are not able to vote in person at the General Election on November 6, 2018, you must submit an absentee ballot at your City Clerk’s office before 2 p.m. Saturday, November 3, 2018.

Absentee voter ballots are available for all elections. They provide voters with a convenient method for casting a ballot when they are unable to attend the polls on Election Day.
As a registered voter, you may obtain an absentee voter ballot if you are:

  1. age 60 years old or older
  2. unable to vote without assistance at the polls
  3. expecting to be out of town on election day
  4. in jail awaiting arraignment or trial
  5. unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons
  6. appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside of your precinct of residence.

A person who registers to vote by mail must vote in person in the first election in which he or she participates. The restriction does not apply to overseas voters, voters who are handicapped or voters who are 60 years of age or older. (Voting in person on one governmental level clears the restriction on the other levels. For example, if a voter subject to the restriction votes in person at a school election, the voter would be free to obtain an absentee ballot for the first state election in which he or she wishes to participate.)

Requesting an Absentee Voter Ballot

Your request for an absentee voter ballot must be in writing and can be submitted to your City or Township Clerk.

For assistance in obtaining the address of your city or township clerk, see: https://webapps.sos.state.mi.us/MVIC/ClerkSearch.aspx

Your request must include one of the six statutory reasons stated above and your signature.  You must request an absentee voter ballot by mailing the application, a letter, a postcard, or a pre-printed application form obtained from your local clerk's office.